Friday 22 May 2015

Yesterday Morning

We continued our plant exploration yesterday morning. I had found a set of seeds from the Agriculture in the Classroom set. The Ks worked on trying to match up the seeds with the picture of the plant.
 

 
We also incorporated some math! As a part of the morning message, I asked if their beans grew or not. We counted the number of yes and no answers and talked about which number was higher.

 
We also worked on sheets of paper that were set out to look like garden rows. Students chose four different types of seeds and were given a number of seeds to 'plant' on their page.

 
Voila! A garden of seeds.

 
More math skills came into play when I realized that the four sets of seeds were all mixed together. They were numbered from one to fourteen, so I enlisted the students in helping me put them back together in groups.


 
We also read a story about leaves. We learnt that leaves have veins, which carry food to the different parts of the plant. The Ks had no prior knowledge of humans having veins, so they were very excited when I told them about this! They were checking all over their arms, wrists, hands, and faces to look for traces of veins. We tried feeling our pulse, too, but I am not sure that anyone was successful.
 
When we went to record our observations of our bean plant growth, one student exclaimed, "Look, you can see the veins!"

 
Some of our beans are getting taller with big leaves, some are just sprouting, and some are yet to make an appearance!


 
We will see what the bean plants look like after the weekend. I am sure that they will enjoy the sunshine and I hope that you do too!

No comments:

Post a Comment