Thursday 19 September 2013

And then there were 5!

We had a whoppin' big class of 5 Kindergarten students today! It was a little quieter~ but not too quiet! It was still a busy, busy day filled with exploration, giggles, and discovery. I'm noticing more and more random acts of kindness within this group that just warms my heart! I even got a 'thanks for everything' at the end of the day.

It was exciting to see the students discover the writing center today during their free choice time. They are very interested in writing notes and making invitations, so I need to stock up on envelopes! I also had a check up at the doctor, went to the dentist, watched a puppet show, ate at a restaurant, and was a student who had to practice writing numbers and letters!

For ELA we went to the library and read Howard B. Wigglebottom Learns to Listen. We also had our first good look at our PWIM picture today and tried to brainstorm some "I Wonder" questions. We definitely need more practice at that, but for our first try I think we had a good discussion. I will post a picture when we do our first shake out of the words next week.

I did not get around to introducing our friend Chester yet! He's the raccoon from The Kissing Hand. The students are very excited when it is their turn to take Chester home. They write in his journal and draw pictures or insert photographs to share with the class. So far he's gone to Saskatoon and Humboldt, went to the movies, watched some of the student's favourite TV shows, played with their younger siblings, had lots of cuddles, and more!


Today we also learnt more about our sense of smell. Students got to guess what a variety of secret scents were and gave them a thumbs up or thumbs down vote. We also glued our pumpkin photographs from last day into our pumpkin observation booklets. In math we talked about sorting and everyone got a chance to sort different items that we have in our math center. Everyone did a great job! We also got in some choral poetry, singing, and dancing!

Even though there were only five students today, I think I'll be sleeping well tonight. :) Have a great weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment